Why can't rabbits eat chocolateWhy can't rabbits eat chocolate

I start this article with a question that you probably never thought about, why can’t rabbits eat chocolate? This will be answered in this article.

Chocolate contains theobromine which is poisonous for rabbits. Theobromine isn’t toxic for humans but it can kill your bunny. Chocolate is therefore excluded from the diets of rabbits.

The fatal dose of theobromine for a rabbit is 100mg per kg body weight. This means that if you have a 4kg rabbit it would be fatal to feed him 400g of chocolate! Of course, I realize that, given the choice, rabbits will not eat chocolate but, as with any other foodstuff, there is always the chance that a small piece will be ingested.

Inhalation of chocolate powder can also cause problems for rabbits as it is an irritant. Theobromine is found in all types of chocolate – dark, milk, and white. So if you are giving your rabbit a small piece of chocolate, make sure it’s dark. The same applies to cocoa beans and cocoa powder.

If you want to give your rabbit something sweet as an occasional treat, try fresh fruit such as apple or banana.

Is it safe to eat chocolate if I am not a rabbit?

Yes, it is safe for humans to eat chocolate. However, this article is aimed at people who have rabbits as pets and who might be wondering whether they can give their bunnies a small piece of chocolate from time to time. In which case, the answer is no, you should not give your rabbit chocolate.

Why is theobromine poisonous for rabbits?

Theobromine is toxic for rabbits because it affects their heart and nervous system. It can cause seizures and cardiac problems in rabbits.

What are the symptoms of chocolate poisoning in rabbits?

Early signs of chocolate poisoning include vomiting and diarrhea. This is then followed by hyperactivity, restlessness, increased heart rate, muscle tremors, and fits. Death can occur within 24 hours.

What would happen if I fed my rabbit a small piece of chocolate?

You need to bear in mind that the fatal dose of theobromine for a rabbit is 100mg per kg body weight. This means that if you have a 4kg rabbit it would be fatal to feed him 400g of chocolate! So, if you were to give your rabbit a small piece of chocolate (10g or less), it is likely that he would suffer from theobromine poisoning.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *