Many cats have a sweet tooth and just can’t resist the luscious desserts that humans adore so much. So forget about sprinkles and cherry toppings that may be poisonous to your feline friend. Ice cream treats for cats are easy to prepare–and safe! Here’s what you’ll need:
1 1/2 cup whole milk 2 eggs 1/4 teaspoon almond extract 10 ounces white chocolate chips 3 tablespoons half-and-half In a small saucepan over low heat, warm the milk until bubbles appear at the rim. While the milk heats up, beat the eggs and almond extract together in a bowl. When the mixture starts to thicken, pour it into the heated milk and cook, stirring constantly with a wire whisk, for 5 minutes or until thickened enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Pour this custard into another bowl and place it in an ice bath to cool it quickly.
chocolate sauce Whisk white chocolate chips into the cooled custard until thoroughly blended. Refrigerate the mixture overnight before serving. To serve, remove from fridge 30 minutes before scooping ice cream into cat-treat molds or foil cupcake cups.
Makes about 2 1/2 cups of ice cream
Chill mixture for at least 8 hours or overnight
Place a scoop of ice cream on a small plate and pour chocolate sauce over the top. I always use a squeeze bottle to make it look more appetizing! If you have any leftovers, they can be stored in an airtight container inside the freezer for up to two weeks.
ice cream treats gift cat box Brand new from The Pampered Puss is this deluxe gift cat box with gingham ribbon. Each gift box comes full of all the essentials for pampering your kitty–and it’s only $5 shipping per order! Don’t miss out on these fantastic deals!
Is there a cat friendly ice cream?
Cats have a sweet tooth just as humans do. If you were to take a bowl of vanilla ice cream and put a few tablespoons of sugar on it, a cat would probably go to town on it. Most cats love milk so the steps needed to make “ice cream” for your kitty are pretty simple:
1. Take 1 1/2 cups of whole milk and 2 eggs. Be sure to dump out the shells before putting them into the bowl.
2. Beat the eggs and milk together with a whisk until it’s thoroughly mixed
3. Take a small saucepan and place it over low heat on your stovetop
4. Add 1/4 teaspoon almond extract to the mixture in the bowl and pour this into the saucepan with milk
5. Mix the contents of both until it thickens to a custard-like consistency
6. Place a small bowl over an ice bath and pour the cooled mixture into it
7. Add 10 ounces of white chocolate chips to your cooled custard mixture from step six
8. Mix the chocolate chips into your custard until it is a moist, consistent mixture
9. Pour this mixture into a Tupperware container and put it in the freezer overnight to set up
10. Serve as a special treat for your cat on their birthday or another special day!
11. Store any leftovers of the ice cream in an airtight container and freeze. It will stay fresh for up to two weeks depending on the temperature of your freezer.
12. Don’t forget to celebrate National Kitty Ice Cream Day on June 20th! My cat says you can never have too many ice cream treats and she’s very happy that humans finally learned how to make them for cats!
What can I put in my cats treats?
Your cat can enjoy many different treats that you would normally give your dog. Meat-flavored baby food, peanut butter, cream cheese, plain yogurt, and cooked chicken are all healthy choices for your feline friend. Be careful with anything spicy or sugary though–these things could upset the balance of their digestive system.