This is a question that many rabbit owners have. The answer, however, is not as straightforward as one might think.
While it is true that some rabbits will eat Queen Anne’s lace, others may not be so keen on it. In fact, some rabbits may even get sick if they eat too much of it.
The general rule of thumb is that you should never feed your rabbit anything new without having first introduced it to the food at a very low amount. If you suspect that your pet has eaten too much of queen Annes lace, then contact your veterinarian immediately.
Queen Anne’s-lace (Qal) is a wildflower known by many names: bird’s foot trefoil, dutch clover, meadow trefoil, and so on. It is a perennial herbaceous plant in the legume family Fabaceae. Qal grows in meadows, woods, and along roadsides in the United States and Canada.
It has a long flowering season, from spring through fall, and is often found in large patches. It gets the name bird’s foot trefoil because of its distinctive three-parted leaves that resemble a bird’s foot.
Queen Anne’s lace is not poisonous to dogs or cats, but it can be dangerous for rabbits, horses, cattle, goats, sheep, and poultry.
The parts of the plant that are poisonous to these animals are the seeds and pods. The leaves, flowers, and stems are safe to eat. Symptoms of poisoning can include diarrhea, labored breathing, excessive salivation, weakness, and convulsions. If you think your pet has eaten any part of this plant, contact your veterinarian immediately.