Can Dogs Eat Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream?Can Dogs Eat Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream?

Mint chocolate chip ice cream is okay for most dogs. While it is high in fat, mint, and chocolate are not harmful to your dog’s health.

Before giving your dog any type of food or treat, make sure to check the list of ingredients on the package. Chocolate-based products can be deadly for dogs because they contain caffeine and theobromine, both of which are stimulants that can cause an increased heart rate, anxiety, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, tremors, and seizures.

Dogs also have a difficult time digesting sugar alcohols found in chocolate-flavored treats. Xylitol, a common ingredient used in sugar-free foods – including gum – has been known to cause liver failure in some dogs.

Why is mint dangerous for dogs?

Mint can be potentially harmful to a dog’s health because it contains menthol. The menthol in mint creates a cooling sensation in the nasal passages that can trigger a breathing reflex in some dogs, causing them to become lightheaded or even faint. In extreme cases, the menthol from the mint could cause seizures and respiratory paralysis.

What’s better than ice cream?

There are many foods that your dog will enjoy more than ice cream treats. By-products, meat, and animal digest contain high amounts of protein and fat, which makes them very appealing to most dogs. If you would still prefer to give your dog a human food treat, offer him pieces of fruit such as bananas, apples, and blueberries. You can also give him dog biscuits and pieces of carrots, sweet potatoes, and green beans.

Dogs should not eat:

  1. – Chocolate (in any form)
  2. – Xylitol (sugar free gum, chocolate, baked goods etc.)
  3. – Avocados  (contain persin which is toxic for dogs)
  4. – Grapes and raisins (can cause kidney failure in some dogs)
  5. – Onions and garlic (contain sulfoxides which can damage red blood cells)
  6. – Large amounts of mint (menthol causes a respiratory reflex)
  7. – Rhubarb leaves (contains high amounts of oxalic acid, a chemical that irritates the gastrointestinal tract causing vomiting and diarrhea )

According to veterinarians at Banfield Pet Hospital , dog can eat 1/8 cup or up to 3 tablespoons of any type of ice cream without experiencing negative health effects. However, this is dependent on each individual dog’s weight and health needs. You should always check with your veterinarian before giving your dog any type of food treat.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *