Elephant ears are plants native to tropical regions of Asia and Africa. Though they are often associated with elephants, the plants do not actually contain poison.
The elephant ear is also known as taro root or Colocasia esculenta. The leaves can grow anywhere from three to eight feet in height while the stems can grow up to 18 inches underground. These plants thrive in warm climates like those found in Florida, Texas and Hawaii. Elephant ears are sometimes called “taro,” but more popularly serve as ornamental houseplants or garden decorations since they prevent soil erosion along waterways if planted around lakes or rivers.
Poisonous Plants for Dogs
Although elephant ears only pose a threat if ingested by your dog, other common plants can make your canine companion very ill. For instance, lilies are poisonous to cats, but there is no evidence that they are harmful to dogs. Ingesting a few tulip or daffodil bulbs causes bloating in dogs, but the bulbs contain only water and starches with no known toxins.
In fact, many of the garden flowers from which we anticipate cut bouquets for our homes may cause illness and even death in our pets if ingested. Because it is impossible to tell if your dog has eaten something toxic by merely looking at it, you should always be aware of which types of foliage and blooms he could encounter when walking through public areas or visiting friends’ homes When in doubt about whether an ornamental plant is toxic, play it safe and avoid placing it in an area where your dog can access.
What happens if a dog eats elephant ears?
Even though elephant ears are non-toxic to dogs, ingestion can still cause a slew of issues. If your dog eats the leaves or stems, he may develop an upset stomach and vomit them back up within hours.
Although large amounts of the plant could pose a choking hazard, eating just one leaf should not harm your pet if he has no underlying health problems. However, other symptoms such as diarrhea should be monitored closely since consuming too much elephant ear stalk could lead to dehydration.
If your dog likes to eat grass and you notice him chomping on the elephant ears in addition, be aware that this habit could worsen any potential stomach upset since it causes additional digestive juices to enter his system for digestion. While there is no evidence
Are elephant ears toxic to dogs?
The elephant ears is not toxic to dogs. However, ingestion could lead to stomach upset and diarrhea if ingested in large amounts or for small dogs that may attempt to chew on the leaves since they are very fibrous.
How poisonous are elephant ear plants?
Elephant ear plants are not poison to dogs or humans. However, if ingested it can still cause stomach upset and diarrhea since they are very fibrous. For small sized dogs that may attempt to chew the leaves, it could pose a choking hazard. So always monitor your dog when he’s around elephant ears just in case.
Are elephant ear plants edible?
All parts of the elephant ear plant are completely edible. However, they are often used as ornamental plants with no intent to be eaten.